Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Information Collection and Use
Skyscanner may collect information from its users at several different points on our website. We may collect and process the following information about you:
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system, browser type, referring URLs, page views and access times ("IP Details"). We use such information for system administration, to analyse trends, track user's movements and to report aggregate information to our advertisers and partners. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a "cookie" file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. A cookie consists of information sent by a web server to a web browser, and stored by the browser. The information is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser.
We may use both “session” cookies and “persistent” cookies on the website. We will use the session cookies to keep track of you whilst you navigate the website. We will use the persistent cookies to enable our website to recognise you when you visit.
Session cookies will be deleted from your computer when you close your browser. Persistent cookies will remain stored on your computer until deleted, or until they reach a specified expiry date.
Most browsers allow you to reject all cookies, whilst some browsers allow you to reject just third party cookies. For example, in Internet Explorer you can refuse all cookies by clicking “Tools”, “Internet Options”, “Privacy”, and selecting “Block all cookies” using the sliding selector. Blocking all cookies will, however, have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites, including this one.
We publish Google Adsense interest-based advertisements on our website. These are tailored by Google to reflect your interests. To determine your interests, Google will track your behaviour across the web using cookies. You can view, delete or add interest categories associated with your browser using Google's Ads Preference Manager, available at: http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/. You can opt-out of the Adsense partner network cookie at: http://www.google.com/privacy_ads.html However, this opt-out mechanism uses a cookie, and if you clear the cookies from your browser your opt-out will not be maintained. To ensure that an opt-out is maintained in respect of a particular browser, you should use the Google browser plug-in available at: http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/plugin
We may collect and process the following data ("Personal Information") about you:
- Where you choose to register to use our website (our "sign-in service"), we will collect certain personal information provided by you which may include your user ID, password, name and , email address. Additional information may be requested in future to improve the level of service we can provide you, and to allow access to additional Skyscanner services.
- Any information that you provide by filling in forms on our website. This includes information provided by you if subscribing to our newsletter, posting material, searching for or saving travel options or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by us and when you report a problem with our site.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence. We use a third party website to enable us to provide this service.
- Information you provide to us when you complete surveys that we use for research purposes.
We may obtain information relating to your geographical location ("Location Data") where you use any Skyscanner application on a mobile phone or other electronic device. We will use such Location Data only for the purpose of identifying which airport is nearest to you at that time.
Use of Information
We will use your IP Details, Cookies and Personal Information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- To respond to customer support queries where you have supplied personal information.
Disclosure Of Your Information
We may disclose your Information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
In addition, we may disclose your Information to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if Skyscanner Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by us about our customers will be one of the transferred assets; or
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms of Service and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Skyscanner Limited, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Where we direct you to websites of third party flight or travel provider companies for you to make bookings, we may use your Information to auto-fill selected details within the third party companies website in order to make the booking process easier and more efficient for you.
We may also use your Information (excluding Location Data), or permit selected third parties to use your Information (excluding Location Data), to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you and we or they may contact you about these by email or telephone.
All Information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share this password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your Information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
At present we have partnership agreements with a number of organisations, some of which are non-UK based. Therefore, to process your requests, we may transfer your Information to our partners based in other countries. By using our website you give your consent to this transfer of your Information.
Links to third party websites
In order to provide you with a useful social experience when using Skyscanner, we may give you the option to export information from Skyscanner to third party applications and websites, including social networking sites such as Facebook or Twitter. Please be aware when doing so that you may disclose your information to individuals or organisations responsible for operating and maintaining such third party applications and sites and your information may be accessible by others visiting or using those applications or sites. We do not own or operate the applications or websites that you connect with and you should review the privacy policies of such websites to make sure you are comfortable with the ways in which they use the information you share with them.
You have the right to access personal data which you have submitted through the site. Where you are a user of our sign-in service, you can manage or remove your information from our database by accessing your profile through the My Account area of the site. By signing in to My Account you will have the option to manage your personal profile and preferences. The management system allows you to update or delete your information from our database. We also allow you to subscribe or unsubscribe to / from any of the email updates you have requested form the site.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us by clicking here.
Access To Information
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is Skyscanner Limited.
We do not want to send you unwanted email. You can opt-out from our mailings at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link contained in every mail we send.
Email addresses are collected via the Skyscanner website, via our Facebook page (in the case of promotions run on our Facebook page) and via co-registration partners.
Skyscanner uses email addresses to send its weekly newsletter, and occasional special offers and deals. Skyscanner sometimes runs promotions with partners and competition entries may require you to provide an email address. These email addresses may be shared with the partner running the competition. In such cases, this is clearly stated in the terms of the promotion. Skyscanner has no responsibility for subsequent use or distribution of email addresses by our partners.
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact us by email.
Or by post via the following address:
15 Lauriston Place
Edinburgh EH3 9EN
Tel: 0131 252 5700
Please note: Skyscanner do not take bookings or hold any details of bookings or payments. If you have an enquiry regarding a booking, you must contact the airline or travel agent as we cannot assist you.